Cast Iron Plant (Aspidistra Elatior)
Get the hardIEST houseplant today!
Plant name: Cast Iron Plant (Aspidistra Elatior)
Plant size: 6-10 inch approx
Potting medium : Potting mix
Pot size: 6 inch plastic pot
Location: Indoor, Shade
Light: Shade, artificial light
Watering: Less frequent
Temperature: 16 to 32 degree celsius
WHAT TO DO?
- Every plant has different type of light, feed and water requirements.
- Most of the plants like moderate watering, let the couple of inch at surface dry before watering again.
- Some plants require frequent feeding but most, once in a year, feed the plant at beginning of spring.
- Repot the plant every couple of years in slightly bigger container.
WHAT NOT TO DO?
- Avoid frequent watering in winters, it will kill the plant.
- Avoid temperature shocks like taking it suddenly indoors or outdoors.
- Avoid partial watering and use water sprayers to water equally in all directions.
- Avoid repotting plants in large containers, most of the plants likes to be in groups.
- Avoid over fertilizing, quantity depends on NPK ingredients but plants do need not more than a spoon.
Plants are living creatures require a little sensitivity towards them, following common instructions are helpful for keeping them happy:
- Dig around the root zone with your fingers to a depth of 2-3' for small plants and water generously when the soil feels dry to the touch.
- Use a balanced fertilizer i.e., 10-10-10, 14-14-14 (Nitrogen (N), Phosphorus (P) and Potassium (K)) food with micro-nutrients.
- Be observant of the changes in plant vigor and growth, plants are more susceptible to disease and pests if they are weakened through poor maintenance.
- It is good to make it a practice to inspect plants progress so you can spot systems of disease or insect infestations well in advance of any serious problem.
- Pruning is required at times for plant health and aesthetics, as a general note remove the damaged leaves and branches as soon as those are noticed to avoid infections.
Dr. Nisha Bhardwaj (Reviewer) –
Most hardy and popular houseplant.